DOG TRAINING CHICAGO: CHRISTMAS DANGERS FOR YOUR DOG: GRAPES AND RAISINS

Ami Moore Dog Trainer

Ami Moore Says Take Care of Your Dog at Christmas

 

Ami Moore, The Memphis Dog Coach advises her friends and clients to keep their dogs safe during Christmas by making sure that their dogs do not eat items that could cause your dog to be ill.

Grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas can be toxic to dogs in very small does. This seems to be something to do with the “bloom” to be found on the surface of the fruit but the exact compound has not been discovered yet.  What is known however is that the effects are not dose dependent.

This means that while some dogs are know to have consumed large amounts of grapes to no ill effect for others it has only taken a handful of grapes or raisins to cause fatal acute kidney failure. 

Some dogs exhibit no effects but others can develop kidney failure after a few raisins. The mechanism of action is unknown, but dogs may start with vomiting and diarrharea, and then develop renal failure 24-72 hours later. If you suspect your dog may have consumed even a small quantity of raisins  please call your vet.

 

Speak Your Mind

*